Roulette holds quite the sway over players across the USA and the world. It is often featured in pop culture and movies and let’s face it, roulette is one of the best-known forms of gambling around the world and it certainly has a lot of class, with the roulette wheel the very symbol of gambling to so many people in so many cultures.
Playing online roulette has become very popular and as we have grown more accustomed to playing roulette online from the comforts of our homes, we’ve also begun to wonder, how can we beat the casinos at their own game and how do we win at online roulette?
We take a look at some of the best strategies to end the supreme reigns of your favorite online casino.
Before you even consider how to win and how to increase your chances of winning at this great game, you will need to understand a few fundamental factors for online and casino-based roulette games:
- Understand the safest bet
- Learn more about the different versions of the game
- Get practical and applicable advice on how to be successful in roulette
- Win more than ever before
Winning at Online Roulette: The Basics
To develop successful winning strategies for online roulette, you first need to understand what the game is.
It’s more than a ball that madly spins around a wheel covered in red and black sections; there’s logic behind it all and we’re here to explain it. Roulette is a game of chance, but luck hasn’t got much to do with how successful you are overall.
Players get the opportunity to put wagers, or ‘bets’ on an individual number, a group of numbers, or a selection of special wagers.
Depending on the version of the roulette game, the wheel can feature between 37 and 38 numbers, from 1-36, including a 0 and a 00 (‘double zero’) in the American game.
Payouts are determined based on the outcome of a ball that is spun around the wheel. When the ball lands, you know whether or not you have won. There are several types of wagers you can place, including, but not limited to:
- Inside Bets (placed on a number or groups of numbers)
- Outside Bets (odd/even, red/black, 1-18/19-36)
The best payouts in roulette tend to be on the Inside Bets, but you will need to understand that the chance of hitting an Inside Bet is much slimmer compared to the Outside Bets, which are up to 50%, depending on the version of online roulette you are playing.
Outside Bets are truly your best friends. It’s not surprising that the majority of winning and successful strategies in roulette have been developed to be used on Outside Wagers exclusively.
Online Roulette: The House Edge
There are actual strategies that will increase your chances of winning and you will do well to brush up on them.
If you stick to Outside Bets, your chances will be almost 50%. The slight variation depends upon the 0 and 00, assuming you’re enjoying yourself in the American version of the game. Hence, there may be slightly varying payout rates (let’s call them the ‘house edge’ to get used to the jargon here) based on the version of the game, such as:
- French Roulette – 1.35% or 2.70%*
- European Roulette – 2.70%
- American Roulette – 5.26 – 7.89%
*The French version comes with two special rules that can help you get even more profit out of your spins!
American Roulette is clearly the one version that will challenge you the most when it comes to winning big. Some players still prefer to stick with it as they love the thrill of uncertainty.
Using Gambling Strategies to Defeat Online Roulette
Unlike most casino games, you can use actual strategies to play against the house. All of these strategies have been proven to work at least to some extent in the short to mid-term, but they struggle in the long run, because the slight house advantage you will have to deal with every time you spin the ball. This applies to all forms of roulette online and at a casino.
With a bit of foresight, you can easily work yourself a good profit and then stop while you are ahead. If you insist on sticking to a strategy in roulette, we would recommend:
All strategies have their quirks and their pitfalls. Martingale for example relies on very small progression; you bet the same amount until you’ve lost at which point you double your bet and keep doubling until you’ve won back all your losses.
The idea here is that you will keep doubling your bets and when you win, you will simply recuperate your losses. It’s really like chasing your losses a bit though. The danger here is that you might hit the table limit before you win back what you’ve lost.
With the Fibonacci roulette strategy you will need to remember or just reference to a sequence of numbers:
1 – 1 – 2 – 3 – 5 – 8 – 13 – 21 – 34 – 55 – 89 – 144 – 233 – 377 – 610 – 987
The rules are simple. Each number is the resulting amount from the previous two numbers, so it’s rather easy to grasp and there are several interpretations of the sequence. However, you must always use it with Outside Bets and start with a lower sum, just like you would do with Martingale.
To profit, you will need to win on the first bet. If you don’t and keep playing, you will have to win by the third spin; if you succeed, you will break even, but if you keep losing after the third spin, you will then not be able to recuperate your losses. At this point, it’s worth starting all over or picking another strategy.
If you win on your first bet, just start again. If you are down the sequence and get a win, just move two numbers back. Fibonacci is a negative progression system, which is slightly scarier to play, but it seems to be a popular one.
To play Labouchere, you will need to have a piece of paper with you. Write any sequence of numbers you like. For example, we stuck with something simple:
Each bet you make should be equal to the sum total of the first and last number in the sequence, in this case 1+3 = $4. If you win, you cross off the numbers. If you lose, you add the sum total of the first and last number to the sequence, so you will get 1+3 = 4:
If you win your first bet and you are left with one number, just stake that, i.e. $2. If you win the $2 wager, write down a new sequence and start over. Labouchere is easy and fun to play with. Also, if you lose the $2, you will need to add it to the sequence:
2 – 2
This means that your next wager will be $4 and so on.
Practical Tips at Beating the Casino House at Roulette
It’s time to flesh out some general tips for roulette that will come in handy. There are quite a few considerations to take into account here, so let’s get started:
- Stick to the outside bets – Every time we’ve discussed a successful strategy, we’ve recommended the outside bets. They offer the smallest variation, which is welcome for a steady and successful play
- Choose French or European Roulette – Shaving off some of the house edge, such as those 00s is always welcome and by sticking with these two versions of the game, you will give yourself a slight boost
- Study the betting strategies – Make sure to test if the betting strategies we’ve recommended will work for you. Most people start with Martingale or Labouchere as they find it to be the most novice-friendly
- Keep an eye out for new versions – There are quite a few versions of roulette, so make sure you always at least check out what new versions offer in terms of gameplay and of course, payout rates
- Make sure you are winning – Your wins will be measured in the amount you have managed to contribute to your bankroll at the end of your gaming session. Curious to see how it all works out? Just make sure you put a small % of every successful spin aside and don’t use that money to play. This way you are guaranteeing yourself some nominal profit or recompense even if no big results materialise
- Stick to the best operators – Playing with a reputable casino should be a top priority. Always stick to the casinos that are known for their customer-focused approach and untarnished reputation and good name.
This advice may seem simple, but it’s the crux of any successful strategy. Combining your knowledge and understanding of the game with these simple practices will certainly show you how to win at online roulette in no time.